Friday, December 9, 2016

Post JMT - 1 day after

September 9, 2016
Post hike day 1
Half Dome Village
Steps: 36,841

I feel odd like I should be doing something or going somewhere. Jess got up very early this morning to go hike half dome! I'm super excited for her and really hope she has an amazing time. She hasn’t hiked much on her own so I am excited for her to see what that is all about. Dylan, Jamie, and Audrey got up pretty early and had to make it to catch the bus. I sat in bed for a while then decided I should get up. I had a banana which was super exciting!!! Then, took another shower with my shampoo and conditioner – oh how I love running HOT water. Somehow my toes and feet are still dirty. I'm looking forward to soaking them.

I got all my dirty clothes together and headed to breakfast. Pancakes, eggs, bacon, and orange juice for about $6! It was wonderful. It's odd being “alone” around a lot of people. I feel out of place. Crazy how when I hike I'm happy to be alone in the middle of nowhere but when there are a lot of people around it seems so odd to be alone. I finished breakfast and headed to find a place to do laundry. I'd like to do a day hike but the only hiking clothes I have are my backpacking ones and they are too gross to put on now that I can actually smell them. I'm not sure why I didn't bring any clean clothes to hike in. Maybe because I didn’t think I would want to hike. It took a while to find housekeeping camp and I'm so glad I've never stayed here. It's pretty odd. But they have a laundry mat so it works. I was able to charge my phone (there is not any power in our tent cabin) and catch up on some of my writing. I'm sure I'll be thankful that this is all already digital but I'm a little sad I forgot my pen. It would be neat to look back at all of this hand written on the back of the maps like I had originally planned.

After my laundry was done I walked back to the room, changed, grabbed some water and my bag and headed to Yosemite Falls. So my first day off and I end up hiking 9ish miles. It was beautiful – and there was not a drop of water “falling”.

I am so thankful I was able to come out here on this journey. I have learned how strong I am. I can do anything I put my mind to. The SKY is the limit. I would love to go back to some places and see them again – but I am excited to explore more of our great nation. Thank you to everyone who has supported me along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Share